18 July, 2011

Exploring London: Part One

After wandering to the closest Barclays Bank Branch and being told I'd have to wait a week to open an account, but could try another, larger branch, I made my way to Canada Waters Underground Station to continue on towards Waterloo Station, just a short walk from the London Eye. Not feeling all that touristy, I decided to skip visiting the London Eye and instead made my way across the Hungerford Bridge passing a gaggle of graduates, to finally enter Central London.

I first made my way to the Strand to find myself another Barclays branch to open up and account with. Unfortunately, I couldn't open one on the spot, but have myself an appointment and a reason to go wandering again tomorrow. You might ponder the question, "why does he insist on a Barclays account?". Well my dear friend, simply put, the Barclays card looks awesome with their blue eagle on white background. That and their presence in Europe but I digress...back to our story.

Passing many theatres along the way, with a smorgasbord of plays, musicals, operas and ballets on show, I wandered towards Trafalgar Square and made a little game of spotting the tourist. This game, however, did not last long as nearly everyone around me was a tourist, and I wondered, "Am I just as obvious a tourist as them?". After all, I was rocking my favourite "New World Order" threadless tee and my usual grey blazer, with houndstooth pants (or trousers as they're known here). Perhaps the lack of a backpack, bum-bag or tourist map allowed me to blend in better than my contemporaries.

Deciding that the weather, while not raining, was not that great and the lack of a decent camera meant I had little incentive to take a few happy snaps for the masses, I made my move onwards to Tottenham Court Road, apparently the computer parts area. Through the winding roads I trundled, hoping that I was headed in the right direction. I wasn't. Lost in the small back streets filled with restaurants and speciality shops, I brought of my trusty phone and found my bearings with the aid of Google Maps...

Even with a legion of celestial, ground-based and handheld aids, I remained somewhat lost. Though I suspect human error comes into play quite largely... as I ignored their directions and continued my expedition into the well-known. The inherent tendency to aggregate with those of similar genetic heritage lead me to Chinatown, where I found such exotic drinks as "Bubble Tea". Moving on.

Also along the way, I found a number of bookshops and guitar shops with quality ukuleles for purchase, which I suspect I'll be perusing over in the near future. Eventually, I made it to Tottenham Court Road and was thoroughly unimpressed with the selection of computer stores. Clearly, Google had lied to me, then again, few compare to the electronic sprawls, of Hong Kong, Taipei, or Akihabara, that I had grow accustomed to. I did, however, stumble across what seems to be the stationary section of London, with store after store of stationary, along with one of my favourites: Muji.

Finally the grey clouds above broke open and the rains cascaded down. Well, not really cascaded... but more sputtered... Many around me were much better prepared and were carrying umbrellas, but, alas, my laziness meant I just had to enjoy the rain, and enjoy it I did. Thoroughly.

Between enjoying the rain, I hopped into the various shops along the way, more stationary shops, spectacles shops, and whatever tickled my fancy. My stomach, however, felt more attracted to food stores and while spoilt for choice, I decided a once-tried and tested chain store, "Pret A Manger", which does a nice organic selection of sandwiches and rolls. Going with a fresh Club Sandwich and a bottle of Pomegranate juice, I found my way towards the closest sitting area, which happened to be St Anne's Anglican Church. The rain had stopped and drying out in the sun munching on my sandwich felt good. A hobo slept in the corner, hopefully not a reflection of my future...

Stomach now satisfied, I continued my journey without a destination and eventually found my way to Piccadilly Station, home of "Eros" as signed, or more accurately "Anteros", the god of selfless love. It was here that I stood facing a fork in the road, do I go down to Piccadilly Station and avoid the rush hour, or do I continue on my way. While the former was the more sensible option, considering I was carrying about five hundred quid, I chose to continue my exploration. Yet again the heavens cried and, after taking a number of "wrong" turns, I continued to enjoy it's refreshing tears such that the soles of my shoes were starting to feel damp. It was then I decided I'd better stop ignoring, the now almost depleted, navigator of mine and find my way back to Waterloo.

Passing the Ministry of Defence, I made my way along the Thames and eventually hit Hungerford Bridge once again. Crossing once again, I noticed that another gaggle of graduates had emerged from their ceremony, yet again with hoods lined with magenta. From here I made my way back to Canada Waters via the tube, and thankfully did not have to be pried out from the train like a sardine from a tin. The rain had be long gone and the sun was shining, allowing me to dry off and plod along home in slightly squidgy shoes.

What greeted me when I arrived home was two world class chefs cooking away in the kitchen. A fantastic meal of bangers and mash with a wine gravy and a glass of wine to top it off.

A rough outline of the route I took:

View Larger Map
I am content, though I'd still like to see you Betelgeuse.
Edwin
2011-07-18

Note: I try to write these posts at the end of each day, but don't usually post them until a few days after when I get time to sit down and edit. Hence why there's three posts today. Hope you enjoy reading them.

1 comment:

  1. More blogging on "why does he insist on a Barclays account?"!!!

    ReplyDelete