11 July, 2011

Over Afghanistan

Over Afghanistan

Unknowningly, my flight path took me over many countries I had not expected. Travelling to Bangkok from Taipei, I passed over th lush green forests of Vietnam and Laos. I was surprised that we passed into Laotian airspace, due to the regime currently in place, but I suppose that flying through Cambodia would probably be worse, coming from Taiwan at least... Looking down on the lushious green jungles sprawling wild, it's hard to fathom the political instability of the area. Fairly sure Cambodia is still technically Communist, and possibly Laos too, totalitarian at least.
Vietnamese Coastline


The next stretch of the journey required exiting the plane with all my hand carry luggage to pass through security, and walk back to the same gate I was just at. A seemingly pointless exercise, until you realise that I've been sitting for almost six hours now, and twelve hours prior on my last few flights. Perhaps, my legs will still be functional when I eventually land at Heathrow.
The countries passed over on this current flight have so far included Myanmar, India, Pakistan, Northern Afghanistan, and currently Turkmenistan. Apparently, Ashkhabad is to my left. Probably hundreds of kilometers away, across sand dunes and deserts.

West of Kabul
These barren lands look unsurvivable, but only a few hundred kilometres east is the Afghan Capital, Kabul. The terrain seemed fairly similar across the nation as well... Further south west of this image is Kandahar, known to be among the most dangerous areas in Afghanistan where, even recently, the Taliban presence is strong.

Onward to the Caspian Sea! For I cannot see the stars during fifteen (or more) hours of sunlight, Betelgeuse.
Edwin

2011/07/10 9:42PM AEST, 12:42UTC+1, No idea what local time.

No comments:

Post a Comment